Thursday, January 26, 2006

R Rated Crucifixes

G. Thomas Fitzpatrick and Recta Ratio has a post up with one incredibly disgusting looking statue of Christ with the full affects of the scourging at the pillar meticulously detailed.

Before I go any further, I want to make sure my stance on bloodied images of Christ is clear. I think they're fine. I don't particularly like images of the corpus on crosses that looks like the maker actually went out of his way to make sure there wasn't anything that could be construed as a cut on it. I think bloody and tortured images of Christ are fine because they remind us of the reality of Roman torture that Jesus Christ underwent.

However, I do think the statue Recta Ratio is fond of seems a bit too far. Here it is in profile, here it is looking at the front, and here is a close-up of the persecuted face.

Again, I think it's a worthy thing to illustrate the suffering of Christ. But this...lord, I want to farb! But much more importantly, it seems like anyone who needs an illustration this gory can't appreciate Christ's sacrifice as written down on boring old stack of papers called the "Bible". You can tone it down quite a bit and still give it an admirable representation, and which also, on the side, inspires a greater appreciation for the Paschal Sacrifice.