Tuesday, March 14, 2006

Annuntio vobis Gaudium Magnum

No, I don't pretend that this news is a joyous or nearly as important as the election of a new Pope, but it's still pretty cool.

I have requested for and been granted a dispensation of the customary two years of study prior to Confirmation! I plan to continue going to classes, but only till I am confirmed.

Now to how I went about it. Haha, that sounds like there was some big scheme. No, basically I had to go anyway to return something that was leant to me. The DRE had a key to the sacristy, where I planned on leaving this thing, and while we were in there we decided to just stay there and chat.

First thing I made clear was that my parents were ok with me doing this but that this was on my prerogative and not theirs. This could be seen as "my sweetums is too smart for this", so I made sure she knew that wasn't the case.

She noticed that I looked very distressed when leaving on Sunday. I told her why I looked so distressed. She explained this and that, but I needn't go into much detail there.

I finally told myself, mentally, that I need to make the request now. Being nervous, I do what I always do to try and conquer nervousness which is to take a deep breath, or bite my tongue, and just do it. So I told her that I was going to abide by her ruling, but I wanted her to put me into the batch that will be ordained in May or June. She informed me that they're actually being confirmed in April. As for the decision, she said that she couldn't promise anything but that she would ask the pastor since he had the final say. She said that I should come and talk to her on Sunday about it.

Well guess what happened? The pastor walked into the sacristy right then. Unbelieveable luck, especially when you consider the demands on his hands! So the DRE placed the question to him, with a bit of the context of the request, of course. The response from Fr. was very quick: "sure."

Holy lord...I was elated! "Thank you, thank you, thank you!"

I said once more that I wanted this not because I'm just so damned awesome but because what good I can do I can do a whole lot better as a teacher.

I left saying thank you again, and then left with mom, pumping the fist.

Laudem et gratsia Tibi, Domine!

EDIT: How could I forget to mention this?! We discussed when I should be confirmed. That is, April twenty-something with the 'graduating' class, or at the Easter vigil, just like a convert? We decided on the Easter Vigil, April fifteenth.