Sunday, March 05, 2006

CCD Week Twenty

I suppose it's just the new teacher's manner to let the first class be casual, but I still consider it nothing more than a damn fooled waste of time.

Perhaps I had come into the day in a depressed state of mind, but the class threw me into a depressive fit that I won't be able to get out of for a while. I'm sorry to sound so melodramatic, but there you are. It wasn't as if any of the students stood up and proclaimed their rejection of any doctrine or anything, but the aura and the feeling in the classroom still left me feeling doomed.

When the teacher said that we'd be learning Latin, something we already knew, a girl was whining about it being a "dead language". I proposed the situation to her thus: you have guys from different countries and who only speak that native tongue. You have an Italian, a Frenchman, a German, an American, a Russian, a fellow from Finland, and someone from the Czech Republic. What language do you say the Mass in? You can get all the interpreters in the world and no one is going to agree on which language to use. So, in the words of John XXIII, who everyone thought to be the most liberal SOB this side of Howard Dean and who everyone though forbade Latin, you use the "universal language for the universal Church".

Another part of the class was devoted to inquiring into why a student smokes marijuana. Need I elaborate?

And then we spent a long time talking about the Da Vinci Code. The teacher was stressing the importance of just remembering it's fiction. The same girl said, quite truthfully, that there was no reason for Cardinal Bartone to say that the book shouldn't even be read since people's faith should be grounded well enough so that a two-hundred page book doesn't shake it. Quite true, but then she needed to spout some bullshit about getting different "angles". Not that getting different angles is bad in and of itself, but this is usually a handy way of saying "we should reject Church teaching because since it's been around for two-thousand years, it isn't a new angle and we need new angles". I reject the idea that this is absolutely what she was getting at, but given some other things she's said...

Again, maybe this is due to my sub-par mental state today, but all of my faith in the bright future the Church faded. At the same time, you get into bad states and as an offshoot of that, you tell yourself stuff that you know, often not even very deep down, that they're wrong and you don't believe them. This is the same here. After coming out of class today, it was easy to lose hope. But in the heart I know I'm wrong and I know that that the hope for the bright future of the Church remains. Perhaps it's just in the Catholic guys and girls in their twenties and not necessarily in the fourteen, fifteen, and sixteen year old range.

Yeah! It's a fairly usual cycle where we spend our adolescence bitching about the Church and how we, in our adolescent wisdom, need to be listened to, then we fall away from the Church, and then after going through a bit of life, we turn back to God, and therefore, turn back to the Church and say "you know, maybe for all that, I was the one who was wrong". That's what happened to my teacher, after all. He is himself a revert! And the girl moaning about Latin and talking about getting different angles; she is a carbon copy of what my mom was at her age! Now look at my mom! And while it might still be true that the real orthodox, solid guys and gals are the ones falling away and falling back, note that in my class of roughly fifteen students, there are two good, solid, orthodox teenagers. Hey, go back to Woodstock, or even just to the eighties, and I think you'll find even just two out of fifteen is hopeful.

Greg, try and cheer up, calm down, trust, hope, and pray.

Pray for the Church, people, especially for it's unity, for those who have fallen away, for those who are thinking of falling away, and the Catholic young, the people in my class, so that we may all, myself absolutely included, come to know the faith and accept in it's entirety, not just in scraps.

St. Joseph, Patron of the Universal Church,
St. Peter, Patron of the Papacy and unity therefrom,
St. Mary, Mother of the Church,
Ora Pro Nobis