Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Mother Theresa


Official Site of the Cause for Canonization of Blessed Theresa of Calcutta.

And I'm not posting this in some silly attempt to show that I really do value women. I know I do, God knows I do. Did I forget to cover anything?

But since I did just mention her, it got me thinking about her. She was so incredible in that she was, for one, a woman who spent a good part of her Vocation preaching the message of life (remember the world day of prayers with the Clintons that she was at?). But add on to that that she spent the other part of her Vocation cleaning up children that were hardly recognizeable sometimes. But she went out there and realized that even if some children might lead rotten lives of wretched poverty, there is still an inherent dignity in them giving by God and it is not in our place to decide there isn't and to kill on the grounds of 'mercy'. She was simply incredible.

A common ad hominium argument is that "oh well it's easy to be "pro-life" when you're rich and don't have to deal with severely maimed children with no place to sleep and no food to eat!" But no one could say that to Blessed Theresa. She was there! She picked up these children, fed them, clothed them, and especially with the help of international generosity in the financial tier, had places to put them down to rest. She's a hero!

I'm sure she'll be canonized in good time. And I'm sure a lot of people will show up in Saint Peter's for that one! But until then,

Blessed Theresa of Calcutta,
Ora Pro Nobis