Tuesday, April 18, 2006

"What a moderate!" Get real...

About once a week, I see an article talking about what a surprising pontificate Benedict has had this past year. More often than not, it's from someone like Greeley laughing at conservatives for not getting what they supposedly thought they were getting. For myself, I'm more puzzled about these reports of supposed "moderation" than anything else! Pope Benedict XVI has done things we didn't see coming, but nothing that was a radical departure from what was expected! The things we didn't expect to hear are hardly things liberals would delight in, it should be noted. I never thought there was going to be a grand inquisition or anything, and at the same time I was sure that this would be a much different papacy than that of John Paul II's. So far, these expectations have been vindicated. Calm down, and for crying out loud, tone the wishful thinking down a notch.