Saturday, May 27, 2006

By Minutes!

I went to the Blessed Sacrament chapel at a parish we used to go to down here. After I was done there, I went over to the main church and hung around the commons waiting for confessions to start. As I was ambling and thinking to myself, my eyes fell on a board that was advertising an upcoming health seminar that was going on at the parish. It would be held Saturday, May twenty-seventh, from two to four o'clock. There were to be three lay speakers, the pastor, and......Bishop DiLorenzo!

As you probably already know from this news, my opinion of the bishop isn't exactly at a high point. When I saw this poster, I practically ran to the hall where it was going on. I was planning on being very respectful (for example, doing the ring kiss, or baciamano as I believed it's also called) but also asking the question: why are you send Bob away?

Now I know the reason given was this "listening problems" hogwash, but I've had some time to think about it and am not entirely convinced that's the whole story.

For example, I remember hearing that at one meeting the bishop was doing, he lamented the fact that we, the Diocese of Richmond, still have priests living in the seventies and eighties. And he did do all the things my dad listed in this comment. The end result is that in light of this, I find it difficult to believe that he would really turn one of this huge diocese's few seminarians away on such pathetic grounds as "listening problems".

As such, I was very much looking forward to a chance to ask the bishop. Alas, he had given a brief speech at the beginning of the seminar and then left. I had missed him by twenty minutes, give or take.

Would he have told me the whole story even if I had been in time? No, but I would still have liked to ask. And if the "listening problems" story was repeated to me, then I could at least put plainly to him my emphatic disappointment in his decision and lack of confidence in his leadership.

Again, I don't buy into what I call "Obedience On My Terms". The bishop has spoken, so Bob is leaving. Bishop DiLorenzo is still the bishop and deserving of respect on that basis. I cannot abide the SSPX and their attitude, and it would be hypocritical for me to condemn them for it whilst practicing it myself as soon as I'm tested...there is disapproval and then there is disobedience. But of course, letting the bishop know what I planned on letting him know coupled with my plan not to be rude in any possible way, does not transgress any principle either of morality or of etiquette, be they specifically my principles or the Church's.