Tuesday, August 01, 2006

An Interesting Key

It's astonishing what kind of a difference interest in a book can make. When you're not interested in the book, or even just that you are interested in the subject but not in reading the book, reading it lends new meaning to "drudgery".

Believe it or not, I'm not a huge reader. There are quite a few big subjects I'm interested (God, the Church, History) but I'll pick up a book about that subject and just decided "meh..."

But recently, after arguing with a couple of folks about the Reformation, I decided it was time to go back and sharpen the sword of knowledge and understanding. I picked up a book (a book which I passed over with a "meh..." some time ago and which is a little more than five hundred pages) written in the thirtes and started reading it and am cutting right through it. Next, I think I'll try Triumph: The Power and the Glory of the Catholic Church.